Hopewell Humane Society has been in existence in Hopewell-Prince George area in one form or another since the 1960s. For many years Mr. Bolden B Furr worked with HHS and in 1968 formalized the organization. After Mr. Furr’s death in 1989 Mr. Mayes Marks and Mr. Donald Lawton stepped in to keep the organization operating. Mr. Lawton is currently the President of HHS.
HHS was originally located on E Poythress Street in Hopewell; in 2007 we moved to our current location at 3412 Oaklawn Boulevard.
Our mission is to rescue stray, abandoned and unwanted animals and to care and maintain each one until these loving animals can be matched with a caring, loving forever home.
DESCRIPTION OF SERVICES:
- Education and promotion of the humane care and treatment of animals
- Spay and neuter assistance program
- Operation of animal shelter
- Adoption services for animals
- Assistance towards care for pets of area elderly
- Pet Food Pantry — provide help with pet food supply for individuals so that they can continue to keep and care for the family pet(s).
- In partnership with Clever Canines make available dog obedience classes at our location.